Thursday, June 8, 2017

Lorem Ipsum: The Aloysius Angelasia Archives (Chapter 38i)

I could have died in that bathroom of the rest stop along the highway on the way out of Florida.

All it would have taken was for that mirror to have exploded once my *actual* fingertips touched the *reflection* of my fingertips.  The power of the energy that fueled my gift could have sent shards of glass in my direction and I could have been impaled or seriously sliced.  I could have collapsed and bled out before Mattie, or Gator for that matter, would have gotten suspicious about the length of time it was taking me to use the facilities.

Instead, the mirror shattered ... but stayed in place.

I quickly dropped my hand and took a step backwards.

I didn't leave though -- not right away.

I was drawn in by the image staring back at me -- through the shattered looking glass, as it were.  In what I was seeing, I no longer had a mouth, and so I had lost the ability to communicate except through my eyes.  I felt like they were trying to send me a warning, but I couldn't quite comprehend the message.

Then I started to understand.

In them, I saw all of my pain ... and then I saw how it was reinforced with the pain of the others that I had absorbed.

I knew then that my thought that maybe I could have "reset myself" in that mirror was farthest from a possibility.

They were lonely eyes staring back at me -- damaged eyes.  Eyes that were uncertain exactly how much more they could take.

The mirror wasn't shattered.

I was.


No comments:

Post a Comment